The information on this page was collected for the 2010 Winnipeg Civic Election.
Once a person officially registers for the 2014 Winnipeg Election their information will be updated.
Candidate in the 2010 St. James - Brooklands Council Ward race.
There are 0 recent news articles that mention Scott Fielding.
Learn how we decide what candidate information to list.
1. Why did you decide to run in the 2010 Winnipeg election?
I want my daughters to inherit the strong, vibrant community that I grew up in. I was born and raised in St. James where I continue to live with my wife Michelle and daughters Paige and Brynn. I have been involved in many community organizations and want to make a difference by enhancing the quality of life and making the community safer for the residents of St. James-Brooklands-Weston.
I feel I have accomplished much over the past 4 years but there is still much more work to be done and I have the passion and energy to make our community an even better place to live, work and raise a family.
2. What experience will you bring to complement your role as councillor?
I am a graduate from the University of Manitoba with an Advanced Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Political Studies at the University of Manitoba.
I worked for the Government of Manitoba in a variety of capacities and have over 10 years experience working in the private sector.
I have always been an active member of the community. I served as Bourkevale Community Club’s fund-raising chairperson for three years, have been an active member of the Assiniboia Chamber of Commerce and served on the Winnipeg Convention Centre Board of Directors. I am currently the Chair of Finance for the City of Winnipeg, the Past Chair of Property, Planning & Development and sit on the Board of Directors for the Assiniboine Park Conservancy and the St. James Biz.
3. What are the major issues you would like to stand for and why did you choose these issues?
I feel there are 4 main issues:
Fighting Crime & Safety:
- Put more police officers on the street
- Support for more police cadets so our police can be on the street
- Continue to lobby the federal and provincial governments to fix the revolving door justice system
- Support local crime prevention programs
Roads & Infrastructure:
- Make the improvements necessary around Polo Park to ease traffic congestion and improve the roads
- Continue to work hard to have more evening and weekend construction so jobs get done quicker
- More funding for our roads, bridges and sidewalks
- More funding to fix our gravel back lanes. (This would include changing the bylaw to allow for gravel to be added to lanes, having lanes graded more frequently and buy more graders)
Enhancing our Recreation & Community Facilities:
- Commit funding to upgrade 8 more parks and playgrounds
- Establishing a new facility for the St. James – Assiniboia 55+ Centre
- Committed funding for 2 new splash pads
- Provide more funding to expand the Weston Community Centre
- Providing funding to upgrade the tennis courts at Silver & Collegiate
- Provide funding for an outdoor basketball court for the Eldon Ross pool area
- Continue to fund and support all 6 community centres in the ward
4. Is there anything in particular you would like to change in our city? In your ward?
I would like to make both the community and the City safer for our citizens. More investments into our roads, infrastructure, community and recreational facilities create a sense of pride for our citizens and I believe we must continue to make the upgrades.
5. Do you have any other comments regarding your candidacy?
Accountability & Transparency:
- Continue to host town hall meetings
- Continue to provide an annual newsletter to taxpayers
- Post expenses online on a monthly basis
- Continue to keep an updated website that includes all speeche
Learn about our questionnaire process.