The information on this page was collected for the 2010 Winnipeg Civic Election.
Once a person officially registers for the 2014 Winnipeg Election their information will be updated.
Candidate in the 2010 St. James - Assiniboia - Kirkfield - St. Charles School Ward race.
There are 0 recent news articles that mention Ted Hull.
Learn how we decide what candidate information to list.
Why did you decide to run in the 2010 school board election?
My wife Lorna and I have lived in the same home in St. James for over 37 years. I graduated from St. James Collegiate and both my children graduated from John Taylor Collegiate. Both children went on to become teachers due in no small part to the input and impact of their teachers. Now I have two granddaughters attending elementary school in Westwood. I want them to have the same great experiences that their parents and grandparents have had. So I believe it is my turn to give back to the community and specifically the school division that has had such a great impact on my family. With the retirement of some long-term trustees there is an opportunity to bring fresh eyes to see opportunities, fresh ears to hear from all the stakeholders in the division and a fresh voice to speak on behalf all the constituents of St. James-Assiniboia.
What experience will you bring to complement your role as school trustee?
My experience and expertise are in the area of board governance. I understand the role of a trustee as being one who is entrusted with the educational resources of a community and with the responsibility to steward those resources as diligently and wisely as possible. Currently I am an independent consultant that facilitates not-for-profit organizations in their governance processes as well as assist boards in relating effectively to management.
What are the major issues you would like to stand for and why did you choose these issues?
School boards, taxpayers and service providers, including employees must always keep in mind that the same dollar cannot be spent twice. Once a decision is made to spend a dollar in a certain way that is one less dollar that can be spent on something else.
The major issues requiring significant board attention over the next few years are:
- Aging school buildings: As school buildings get older, more money will need to be allocated to the maintenance and upgrading of facilities. We do not want schools that are perceived to be rundown and outdated.
- Lifting the moratorium on school closures: When this occurs the School Board will be required to once again address the issue of school closures. Schools that are significantly underutilized can affect class sizes and the effective use of educational dollars. Trustees must avoid the temptation of parochial decisions rather than taking into account the impact that closing or keeping a school open has on all the residents of the school division.
I will not be a trustee who seeks to advance a personal agenda or a pet theme. My stand will be based on the combined interests of all stakeholders in the division.
Is there anything in particular you would like to change in your school division? In your ward?
- To see St. James-Assiniboia as a community where people will want to live because of the reputation of great schools with a reasonable educational tax rate
- To provide an environment where quality teachers see St. James-Assiniboia as a great place to teach
- To ensure that our schools are technically progressive and cutting-edge as well as physically state-of-the-art
- To insist on strong leadership that is driven by careful consideration of the input of everyone in the community.
Do you have any other comments regarding your candidacy?
A trustee must be open to listening to every stakeholder in the community. Then he or she must be willing to engage in knowledgeable and robust debate while at the same time considering the input and opinions of other trustees. While the board is a group of individuals, it must operate as a single entity with the best interests of all stakeholders in balance.
My experience in working with teams and boards qualifies me to contribute effectively to the board process. Effective board governance will facilitate an environment where students at all scholastic levels are empowered to graduate with the confidence that they can succeed in whatever endeavours they pursue. My experience in working with teams and boards qualifies me to contribute effectively to the board process. Effective board governance will facilitate an environment where students at all scholastic levels are empowered to graduate with the confidence that they can succeed in whatever endeavours they pursue.
Learn about our questionnaire process.