Candidate in the Charleswood - Tuxedo Councillor Candidates race.
Grant can be reached on social media, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 204-590-5214.
Their response to our candidate questionnaire can be read below.
News that mentions this candidate is listed at the bottom of the page.
Our candidate data retrieval process is available in our FAQ.
Grant Nordman - Charleswood - Tuxedo
Why did you decide to run in the 2018 (Winnipeg Civic Election / School Board Election)?
- The new ward boundaries saw the neighbourhood I currently reside in added to the newly expanded Charleswood – Tuxedo Ward.
- The lack of experienced candidates to represent the ward at City Hall
- The need to complete unfinished business at City Hall related to infrastructure and park renewal, recreation facility improvements and accountability
What experience will you bring to complement your role as (Mayor / Councillor / School Trustee)?
- I served as councillor of the St. Charles Ward from 2006-14.
- Served on all the City Council standing committees during my 8 year tenure
- Served as the Speaker of Council for three years and as Acting Deputy Mayor for one year.
- Was the Chair of the Partnership of the Manitoba Capital Region (now the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region)
- Was the Chair of the Mayor’s Age Friendly and Seniors Advisory Committee
- Former CEO and President of the Assiniboia Chamber of Commerce
- Current member of the Red River Exhibition Association
- Former small business owner
- Only candidate who understands how City Hall works and has the ability to hit the ground running come October 25.
What are some issues that you would like to stand for in your role as (Mayor / Councillor / School Trustee), and why are these issues important to you?
- Want to devote time to improving existing infrastructure (i.e. pipes and roads)
- Opposed to reopening of Portage & Main to pedestrians but in favour of spending funds to improve existing underground concourse
- In favour of building a new off leash dog park in an appropriate location in the ward
- Work with community centres (both recreational and 55+) to maintain and improve existing and/or acquire new facilities
- Want to expand the free, not for profit, Batbox Pickup household battery recycling program to entire ward
What is something that you appreciate about the (City of Winnipeg / the ward / the school ward or school division) you wish to represent?
Charleswood-Tuxedo and Westwood including The Oaks are a great place to live, work and to raise a family. I want to continue building Winnipeg as a player on the world stage while looking after the day to day needs of the over 22500 households in the Ward. This ward has been my home for much of my life. My family has roots here going back over 50 years. We have run several successful business here, have raised a family here, and continue to want the best for this area of our great city.
Do you have any other comments regarding your candidacy?
Some people believe you can bully your way towards change and that radical shifts of momentum are simple. My 8 years on Council has shown me that the best way to get results at City Hall is to communicate and cooperate with my fellow Councillors. You need the agreement of 9 members of Council to pass any initiatives at City Hall. Though some may think otherwise, the pathway to progress is through cooperation, not confrontation.
News that mentions Grant Nordman
Showing news articles published after May 1st 2018. Article summaries are selected randomly from the mentioned candidates. Our news gathering process is explained in our FAQ.1 2 Next »
October 14, 2018
Ici Radio Canada / CBC Francais - ...Morantz dans le quartier Charleswood-Tuxedo-Whyte Ridge suscite l’envie de Kevin Klein, Kevin Nichols, Ken St George et de l’ancien conseiller Grant...
October 14, 2018
CBC Manitoba - ...defeating Conservative MP Steven Fletcher by 6,122 votes. Four candidates — Kevin Klein, Kevin Nichols, Ken St. George and former city councillor Grant Nordman — are vying to fill Morantz's spot as Charleswood-Tuxedo-Whyte Ridge councillor. The 2018 Winnipeg civic election will be held Oct. 24. More CBC...
Building Kenaston up instead of out, more town halls among proposals from Charleswood-Tuxedo candidates
October 14, 2018
CBC Manitoba - ...in community centres, a more transparent budget process and more partnerships with private businesses. Former councillor attempts comeback For Grant Nordman, a former councillor who represented part of the ward for eight years until 2014, Brian Bowman's leadership as mayor has been abysmal. "There's an...
October 10, 2018
Winnipeg Free Press - ...when a candidate's posturing includes language that spices up the usual colloquial conversation. Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit! Grant Nordman's bus bench was sure a burr under some folks' saddles. (Ruth Bonneville / Winnipeg Free Press files) Such was the case this week with...
October 9, 2018
Winnipeg Free Press - ...individuals, or anyone acting on their behalf, from incurring a campaign-related expense until they’ve formally registered their campaign. Grant Nordman confirmed Tuesday that he was questioned by a city official about his election advertising on Transit benches. A candidate in the...
October 5, 2018
Winnipeg Free Press - ...Westwood resident served two terms as city councillor for the former St. Charles ward from 2006 to 2014 when he was defeated by Shawn Dobson. Grant Nordman has some “unfinished business” at City Hall. The 68-year-old Westwood resident served two terms as city councillor for the former St. Charles...
October 5, 2018
Winnipeg Sun - ...dog-friendly” status for their commitment to the city’s off-leash areas. They are Brian Bowman, Jeff Browaty, Brian Mayes, Janice Lukes and Grant Nordman. You can see where everyone ranks at windog.ca. NOW THAT’S A PUMPKIN! The Roland Pumpkin Fair goes today (Saturday). I talked this week with the...
September 29, 2018
Winnipeg Sun - ...race to lead Charleswood-Tuxedo could return a familiar face to City Hall, though he’d have to beat three competitors to accomplish that. Grant Nordman, who represented the St. Charles ward from 2006 to 2014, believes his council experience makes him stand out from his three rookie opponents. “I just...
September 24, 2018
Winnipeg Free Press - ...Wilkes South. Former councillor Marty Morantz is not seeking re-election. Candidates in this ward include: • Kevin Klein; • Kevin Nichols; • Grant Nordman; and • Ken St. George. The St. James ward now includes the neighbourhoods of Crestview and St. James. Candidates in this ward include: • Shawn...
September 24, 2018
Winnipeg Free Press - ...Shelters instead, to ensure those who need to escape can before it’s too late." Also running in Charleswood are Ken St. George, Kevin Nichols and Grant Nordman. ...