Candidate in the Charleswood - Tuxedo Councillor Candidates race.
Grant can be reached on social media, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 204-590-5214.
Their response to our candidate questionnaire can be read below.
News that mentions this candidate is listed at the bottom of the page.
Our candidate data retrieval process is available in our FAQ.
Grant Nordman - Charleswood - Tuxedo
Why did you decide to run in the 2018 (Winnipeg Civic Election / School Board Election)?
- The new ward boundaries saw the neighbourhood I currently reside in added to the newly expanded Charleswood – Tuxedo Ward.
- The lack of experienced candidates to represent the ward at City Hall
- The need to complete unfinished business at City Hall related to infrastructure and park renewal, recreation facility improvements and accountability
What experience will you bring to complement your role as (Mayor / Councillor / School Trustee)?
- I served as councillor of the St. Charles Ward from 2006-14.
- Served on all the City Council standing committees during my 8 year tenure
- Served as the Speaker of Council for three years and as Acting Deputy Mayor for one year.
- Was the Chair of the Partnership of the Manitoba Capital Region (now the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region)
- Was the Chair of the Mayor’s Age Friendly and Seniors Advisory Committee
- Former CEO and President of the Assiniboia Chamber of Commerce
- Current member of the Red River Exhibition Association
- Former small business owner
- Only candidate who understands how City Hall works and has the ability to hit the ground running come October 25.
What are some issues that you would like to stand for in your role as (Mayor / Councillor / School Trustee), and why are these issues important to you?
- Want to devote time to improving existing infrastructure (i.e. pipes and roads)
- Opposed to reopening of Portage & Main to pedestrians but in favour of spending funds to improve existing underground concourse
- In favour of building a new off leash dog park in an appropriate location in the ward
- Work with community centres (both recreational and 55+) to maintain and improve existing and/or acquire new facilities
- Want to expand the free, not for profit, Batbox Pickup household battery recycling program to entire ward
What is something that you appreciate about the (City of Winnipeg / the ward / the school ward or school division) you wish to represent?
Charleswood-Tuxedo and Westwood including The Oaks are a great place to live, work and to raise a family. I want to continue building Winnipeg as a player on the world stage while looking after the day to day needs of the over 22500 households in the Ward. This ward has been my home for much of my life. My family has roots here going back over 50 years. We have run several successful business here, have raised a family here, and continue to want the best for this area of our great city.
Do you have any other comments regarding your candidacy?
Some people believe you can bully your way towards change and that radical shifts of momentum are simple. My 8 years on Council has shown me that the best way to get results at City Hall is to communicate and cooperate with my fellow Councillors. You need the agreement of 9 members of Council to pass any initiatives at City Hall. Though some may think otherwise, the pathway to progress is through cooperation, not confrontation.
News that mentions Grant Nordman
Showing news articles published after May 1st 2018. Article summaries are selected randomly from the mentioned candidates. Our news gathering process is explained in our FAQ.« Previous 1 2
September 23, 2018
Winnipeg Sun - ...going to stop, it’s because we choose to make it stop.” Klein, the former publisher of the Winnipeg Sun, is running against Kevin Nichols, Grant Nordman and Ken St. George to represent the ward, left open when Marty Morantz decided to seek the nomination for the Conservative Party of Canada in the...
September 20, 2018
Ici Radio Canada / CBC Francais - ...des élections Voici la liste de tous les candidats et candidates, par quartier électoral : Charleswood-Tuxedo Kevin Klein, Kevin Nichols, Grant Nordman et Ken St. George Daniel McIntyre Josh Brandon, Cindy Gilroy et Miah Sarowar Elmwood-Kildonan-Est Robb Massey et Jason Schreyer Fort Rouge-Fort...
September 19, 2018
CBC Manitoba - ...He is a former Ecole Dieppe Home and School Association president. He is also a member of the CCHP (Citizens for Charleswood Habitat Preservation). Grant Nordman is an entrepreneur and political volunteer in west Winnipeg. He was a city councillor from 2006 to 2014 for the now-defunct St. Charles ward. Before...
September 19, 2018
CBC Manitoba - ...changes, means that Dobson is forced to face another incumbent in his race for a council seat. He was first elected in 2014, defeating opponent Grant Nordman by 1,068 votes. Scott Gillingham currently represents the St. James-Brooklands-Weston ward, which has been renamed St. James and had its boundaries...
September 19, 2018
Global News - ...candidate having registered, Janice Lukes will be acclaimed as councillor there. Charleswood-Tuxedo: Kevin Klein Kevin Nichols Ken St. George Grant Nordman Daniel Mcintyre: Cindy Gilroy Josh Brandon Miah Sarowar Elmwood – East Kildonan: Robb Massey Jason Schreyer Fort Rouge – East Fort...
September 18, 2018
Winnipeg Sun - ...and Motkaluk so far, the results of some other council competitions are tougher to predict. Christopher Adams said the return of former councillor Grant Nordman (to compete in Charleswood-Tuxedo) and former councillor Garth Steek (to run in River Heights-Fort Garry) could make for tighter races in those...
September 4, 2018
Ici Radio Canada / CBC Francais - ...nom. Retour d’un allié de Sam Katz Dans le quartier de Charleswood-Tuxedo, un proche de l’ancien maire Sam Katz tente un retour en politique. Grant Nordman, ancien conseiller de St. Charles, a déposé sa candidature vendredi. Grant Nordman, autrefois surnommé « Government Grant » (soit,...
September 4, 2018
CBC Manitoba - ...of Winnipeg councillor and Sam Katz ally is making a comeback attempt in this fall's election campaign. On Friday, Former St. Charles councillor Grant Nordman registered to run this fall in a different ward, Charleswood-Tuxedo. Nordman, who inspired the nickname "Government Grant," served two terms as the...